Wondering where to get cosplay supplies? Honestly, there really is no limit on where you can shop.
Most cosplayers start by buying bits and pieces from thrift stores such as Goodwill. You can come up with really cool (and cheap) closet cosplays this way. You can find starter material that you can sew and alter (or use for mockups).
The next route you might take is eBay. I am a very impatient person, so I’m not too thrilled by the idea of buying a wig and waiting a month to gauge the quality.
However, 99% of the time, cosplayers tell me that they have huge and inexpensive success shopping here, so I still recommend it!
Then you can purchase full cosplays at some great online cosplay shops or, if you’re like me, you can become an almost exclusive Amazon shopper.
RELATED: My Cosplay Craft Room And Craft Room Ideas
Where To Get Cosplay Supplies
To help you get started, I’m going to walk you through everything I have in my personal cosplay desk. I have two YouTube videos on my cosplay craft room, so you can get more of a visual over there.
This list is exclusively for cosplay materials that you will probably need at your own cosplay desk. If there is anything else I’m forgetting or that you recommend, please feel free to leave us suggestions in the comments below!
Shop My Cosplay Materials!
Here are links to where I get all of my cosplay supplies!
Disclaimer: Actions taken from clicking on links may yield commission for the site. All content and photos are copyright Cosplay and Coffee unless otherwise noted. Sponsored content is clearly disclosed within the post. Thank you for your support and I hope these services help you!
To give you an idea of what I think you should buy first, I’m going to list my favorites in order. The top items are what you should get first, followed by the more advanced options.
RELATED: SFX Basics: Different Types of Fake Blood
- Amazon Wigs (I especially love Kryssma Wigs)
- eBay Wags
- Arda Wigs
- Rockstar Wigs
- Wig Is Fashion
- Pish Posh Wigs
- Everyday Weekend Wigs
RELATED: SFX Basics: All About Latex
Cosplay Crafting Materials
Starter Cosplay Supplies:
- Acrylic Paint
- Paint Brushes
- Craft Foam
- Avery Transfer Paper
- Spray Paint: The cheap stuff works fine, but I’m finding that floral paint is actually more versatile (it can even be used on shoes!)
- Plasti-Dip: A staple in every cosplayer’s paint set
- EVA Foam
- LED Lights
- Spare gems, flowers, and beads because you never know when they might come in handy! I get most of mine from Michaels or Wal-Mart
- Foam Clay
RELATED: SFX Basics: Spirit Gum
Sewing Patterns and Fabric
Starter Sewing Materials:
- Sewing scissors
- Sewing machine (obv)
- Patterns: My favorites are the Simplicity which frequently go on sale at Joann’s!
- Fabric: Almost all of my material has been purchased from Joann’s. I have purchased material from Wal-Mart but your options are slim there, and it’s usually not the highest quality material.
However, I do find their little squares of fabric to come in handy, so I’ll stock up on those from time to time!
I haven’t found any place cheaper than Joann’s, although I know that other cosplayers have found local shops to have more options. If you have a great tip on where to buy cosplay fabrics, please let us know!
- Rotary Sewing Cutting Set
- Adjustable Dress Form
- Hip Curve Ruler
- Styling Design Ruler
Starter Cosplay Tools:
- A good pair of scissors (for cosplay supplies only)
- Glue Gun and Glue Sticks (or 5)
- Mod Podge
- Box Cutter and/or X-Acto Knife
- Heat Gun
- Wood Burner or Soldering Iron
- Contact Cement
There are a TON of things you can have at your cosplay workspace. I also recommend getting your hands on some of Kamui Cosplay’s patterns! They will save you so much time and it’s an easy way to learn foam smithing!